Wednesday, May 9, 2012

FarmGirl Crafts – The Sock Monkey

The Sock Monkey is an American classic craft that emerged during the Depression. The Sock Monkeys with the iconic red mouth were made from worn out Rockford Red Heel socks. You can buy these classic socks from Fox River Mills. Each pair of socks comes with instructions for making sock monkeys.

Lyli spotted a bright sock monkey in Bealls one day in 2010. The $30 toy didn’t fit into our budget, so I ordered a pair of socks and made one myself.

20111216b

Here she is sleeping with it in 2011.

20120506

Loral likes it too.

 20120506a

I’m happy to say that the monkey has survived for a couple of years, even though Lyl removed his red hair and blue bow-tie that I had made.

 20120506b

I hope to make more in the future, using the Fox River Mills pink socks and other unique socks that I’ve collected.

No comments:

Post a Comment